Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
December 21, 2020updated 27 Oct 2021 11:14am

Reliance and BP produce first gas from KG D6 block offshore India

India’s Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and British oil major BP have started production from the R Cluster, a ultra-deep-water gas field located in the KG-D6 block offshore India.

By Himaja Ganta

India’s Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) and British oil major BP have started production from the R Cluster, a ultra-deep-water gas field located in the KG-D6 block offshore India.

The KG-D6 block lies in the Krishna-Godavari basin of the Bay of Bengal on the eastern coast of India.

RIL operates the KG D6 block and owns a 66.67% participating interest in it. The remaining 33.33% participating interest is held by BP.

The block covers an area of 8,100km² and lies in water depths between 700m (2,297ft) and 1,700m (5,577ft).

RIL chairman and managing director Mukesh Ambani said: “We are proud of our partnership with bp that combines our expertise in commissioning gas projects expeditiously, under some of the most challenging geographical and weather conditions.

“This is a significant milestone in India’s energy landscape, for a cleaner and greener gas-based economy. Through our deep-water infrastructure in the Krishna Godavari basin we expect to produce gas and meet the growing clean energy requirements of the nation.”

Content from our partners
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future
Q&A with Chevron Lubricants’ Paul Sly, global industrial OEM specialist, and Nathan Knotts, global brand technical manager
The important role of antifoam agents in oil-gas separation and amine treating

Reliance Industries and BP are developing three deepwater gas projects in block KG D6 namely, R Cluster, Satellites Cluster, and MJ.

Located about 60km from the existing KG D6 Control & Riser Platform (CRP) off the Kakinada coast, R Cluster is the first of the three projects to come online.

The Satellites Cluster project is expected to become operational next year and the MJ project is scheduled to come online in 2022.

These three projects are jointly expected to meet more than15% of India’s gas demand by 2023.

BP chief executive Bernard Looney said: “This start-up is another example of the possibility of our partnership with Reliance, bringing the best of both companies to help meet India’s rapidly expanding energy needs.

“Growing India’s own production of cleaner-burning gas to meet a significant portion of its energy demand, these three new KG D6 projects will support the country’s drive to shape and improve its future energy mix.”

In April 2018, BP and RIL sanctioned the ‘Satellite cluster’ project, the second phase of the integrated KG-D6 development.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU