US-based subsea oil and gas equipment supplier Deep Down has secured an equipment order from Shell Offshore for a work-related to Whale field development in the US Gulf of Mexico (GoM).

Shell owns and operates a 60% interest in the Whale floating production unit (FPU). Chevron USA co-owns the remaining 40%.

The FPU will operate in the GoM’s Alaminos Canyon Block 773 located near the Shell-operated Silvertip field. It lies approximately ten miles from the Perdido platform operated by Shell.

Deep Down will design, engineer and manufacture a riser isolation valve (RIV) control system and other subsea production equipment.

According to Deep Down, it will install the RIV control system will on the FPU to allow the shutdown of production fluids.

Shell expects to make the Whale project’s positive final investment decision (FID) later this year.

Deep Down president and CEO Charles Njuguna said: “We are pleased that Shell has once again turned to Deep Down to deliver reliable equipment and services for one of their largest exploration finds in the Gulf of Mexico in recent memory.”

The company produces complex deepwater and ultra-deepwater oil and gas production distribution system technologies. It also provides support services.

In November, Shell Offshore awarded a contract to Sembcorp Marine for the construction and integration of the topside and hull of an FPU for the Whale field.

In January 2018, Shell announced one of its largest GoM discoveries from the Whale deepwater well. This discovery lies approximately 322km southwest of Houston in about 8,000ft water.