Shell Offshore, a subsidiary of oil and gas major Shell, has awarded a construction contract to Singaporean company Seatrium. 

The contract is for the Sparta semi-submersible FPU. 

Under the agreement, which follows a letter of intent from August 2023, Seatrium will construct and integrate the hull, topsides and living quarters, along with the installation of Shell-provided equipment.  

The Sparta FPU, destined for the Garden Banks area roughly 275km off the Louisiana coast, is designed to produce 90,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.  

It will be supported by a four-column floating hull and a single topside structure. 

Seatrium’s Goliath twin cranes, with a lifting capacity of up to 30,000 tonnes, will be employed to integrate the two-level topside onto the hull.  

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

The company has stated that the Sparta FPU project is part of a replicable strategy with Shell. This approach has previously been applied in the Vito and Whale newbuilds.  

Seatrium executive vice-president and head of oil & gas international William Gu said: “We are deeply honoured that Shell has awarded Sparta, the third FPU newbuild, to Seatrium, following the successful deliveries of the Vito and Whale FPUs. It is a strong affirmation of our team’s capabilities and the long-standing partnership between both parties.  

“We are fully committed to executing the project well, including the single lift operation and fabrication of the FPU to meet its 20,000-psi design for use in harsh weather conditions, and delivering the unit to Shell safely and efficiently.” 

The announcement comes shortly after Shell Offshore and its partner Equinor announced the final investment decision for the Sparta deep-water development in the US Gulf of Mexico. 

As the operator, Shell Offshore owns a 51% stake in the project and the remaining 49% stake is owned by Equinor Gulf of Mexico. 

The Sparta development is scheduled to start production in 2028, making it Shell’s 15th deep-water project in the Gulf of Mexico.