Woodside Energy has awarded a ‘large contract’ to Subsea7 to provide subsea installation services for the $7.2bn Trion ultra-deepwater oil project in the Gulf of Mexico.

A significant contract, according to Subsea7, is one that is worth between $300m and $500m.

Under the contract, Subsea7 will be responsible for the EPCI of the subsea umbilicals, risers and flowlines, as well as the associated subsea architecture.

Subsea7 plans to immediately commence project management and engineering work.

Work is due to be carried out from Subsea7’s offices in the US and Mexico.

The offshore activities are slated for execution between 2026 and 2027.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Located around 30km south of the US-Mexico border and 180km from the Mexican coastline, the Trion field is situated in a water depth of 2,600m.

Subsea7 Gulf of Mexico vice-president Craig Broussard said: “This award acknowledges our strong partnership with Woodside globally. With our experience in the Gulf of Mexico and proven track record, we can deliver innovative, reliable, fast-tracked solutions that create value for our clients.

“We are proud to be a part of Woodside and Pemex’s first deep-water development in Mexico.”

Woodside, with a 60% stake, serves as the operator of the field while Mexican state-owned petroleum company PEMEX holds the remaining 40%.

The field, which is expected to commence operations in 2028, will be developed with an in-field FPU with an oil production capacity of 100,000 barrels per day.

The FPU will be connected to a floating storage and offloading vessel with 950,000 barrels of oil capacity.

The project, the final investment decision for which was announced in 2023, aims to develop an estimated 479 million barrels of oil equivalent.