TGS, an energy services company, has reached an agreement to buy its peer PGS in an all-stock deal valued at Nkr9.32bn ($862.71m).

Norway-based TGS said the combined entity will be valued at approximately $2.61bn.

Under the terms of the agreement, PGS shareholders will be entitled to receive 0.06829 ordinary shares of TGS in exchange for every PGS stock held.

Following the merger, TGS shareholders will own approximately a 66.66% stake in the merged entity with the remaining 33.33% stake held by PGS shareholders.

With the acquisition, TGS, which is engaged in providing data and intelligence to oil, gas and other energy sectors, hopes to create a full-service geophysical data company.

The combined entity is expected to provide services in areas such as multi-client data, streamer data acquisition, ocean bottom node data acquisition, imaging and new energy data.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Additionally, the deal reduces supply chain risks and will increase economies of scale and efficiency, TGS noted.

Cost synergies from the merger are expected to save the company an estimated $50m annually.

TGS chair of the board Chris Finlayson said: “This is a strategic transaction for TGS and a major step on the journey we started in 2019. It will combine the capabilities of both companies to create a geophysical powerhouse.

“The transaction continues TGS’ strategic development from a pure multi-client seismic company to the leading acquirer and provider of geophysical data to both the oil and gas and new energy industries.”

PGS president and CEO Rune Olav Pedersen said: “The seismic industry is changing, whereby production seismic is becoming increasingly important alongside the traditional exploration seismic.

“By combining TGS’ and PGS’ complementary resources, we create a fully integrated geophysical service provider well positioned to generate significant value for all stakeholders.”

The board of directors of both companies have approved the transaction, which is anticipated to close in the first half of 2024.

In June this year, TGS launched a cloud-based analytics platform to benchmark, predict and optimise well performance.