Total wins E&P contracts for two offshore blocks in Mauritania

13 December 2018 (Last Updated December 13th, 2018 10:18)

French oil and gas giant Total has secured new exploration and production (E&P) contracts for two offshore blocks in Mauritania.

Total wins E&P contracts for two offshore blocks in Mauritania
New exploration blocks cover a total area of 14,175km². Credit: Stu Rapley.

French oil and gas giant Total has secured new exploration and production (E&P) contracts for two offshore blocks in Mauritania.

The company signed an agreement with the Ministry of Petroleum, Energy and Mines of Mauritania for Blocks C15 and C31 deep offshore Mauritania.

The blocks cover a total area of 14,175km² and will strengthen Total’s position in the country.

Total will operate these two blocks with a 90% interest. The remaining 10% stake will be held by the Société Mauritanienne des Hydrocarbures et de Patrimoine Minier (SMHPM).

“This agreement contributes to the implementation of Total’s strategy that aims to explore basins in proven yet underexplored petroleum systems.”

Total E&P president Arnaud Breuillac said: “This agreement contributes to the implementation of Total’s strategy that aims to explore basins in proven yet underexplored petroleum systems.

“The addition of these new blocks to our existing positions demonstrates our commitment to the development of the Mauritanian oil sector and will enhance Total’s presence in West Africa, one of the Group’s core exploration areas.”

Total already owns participation interest and operatorship in Blocks C7, C9 and C18 in the Mauritanian basin, which stretches from Mauritania to Senegal, Ivory Coast and Nigeria, as well as comprises half of the company’s acreage in Africa.

The company is planning to drill a well on Block C9 next year.

In a separate development, the company reported the start of liquefied natural gas (LNG) exports from the third train of the Yamal LNG project in Russia.

The Yamal project comprises three LNG trains and has now reached its full nameplate capacity of 16.5Mtpa. Project participants include Novatek (50.1%), Total (20%), CNPC (20%) and Silk Road Fund (9.9%).