French energy major TotalEnergies has made a new oil and gas discovery offshore Nigeria in the OML102 oil field.

According to the company, the Ntokon-1AX discovery well encountered 38m of net oil pay and 15m of net gas pay.

The well is located in shallow waters, 60km off the south-east coast of Nigeria.

Meanwhile, Ntokon-1AX’s side-track Ntokon-1G1 encountered 73m of net oil pay, in “well-developed and excellent quality reservoirs”, it added.

The side-track well tested for up to a maximum rate of around 5,000 barrels per day of 40° API oil.

Ntokon oil and gas discovery, which is located 20km from the Ofon field facilities, is due to be built using a tie-back to the existing facilities.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

TotalEnergies exploration and production president Nicolas Terraz said: “The Ntokon discovery opens a promising outlook for new tie-back development. After the start-up of production of the Ikike tie-back on OML99 in 2022, this new success in the area further demonstrates the potential of nearby exploration to create value within our low-cost, low-emission strategy.”

TotalEnergies EP Nigeria, which holds a 40% stake in OML102, operates the project with partner NNPC, which holds the remaining 60%.

According to GlobalData, with peak production in 2018, the conventional oil field OML102 recovered 83.67% of its total recoverable reserves.

Production will carry on until the field hits its economic limit in 2030. Currently, the field produces around 2% of the daily output of the nation.