The German state of Brandenburg has given approval to OAO Gazprom and BASF SE’s Wingas unit for the north part of the Ostsee Pipeline Anbindungs-Leitung (OPAL) pipeline.

The 470km OPAL pipeline, which passes through Lubmin to Olbernhau near the German-Czech border, will connect Germany and Europe to the major natural gas reserves in Siberia via the Nord-Stream-Pipeline.

The $1.43bn (€1bn) pipeline will pick up the natural gas in Lubmin, near Greifswald, from the Nord Stream pipeline and transport it to Olbernhau on the Czech border.

The pipeline is expected to have an annual capacity of 35 billion cubic metres of natural gas.

Wingas holds 80% interest in the pipeline, while E.ON Ruhrgas holds the remaining 20% interest.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData