View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Comment
January 14, 2022updated 24 Jan 2022 10:19am

Chariot makes gas discovery offshore Morocco

Chariot has made an important gas discovery at the Anchois-2 in offshore Morocco, where it had started drilling operations in December.

By MEED   

London-listed oil and gas company Chariot has made a ‘significant gas discovery’ at the Anchois-2 well located on the Lixus concession area offshore Morocco.

Chariot has a 75% interest and operatorship of Lixus in partnership with the Office National des Hydrocarbures et des Mines (ONHYM), which holds the remaining 25 per cent.

The company said the Anchois-2 well was safely and efficiently drilled to a total measured depth of 8,240ft by the Stena Don drilling rig in 1,250ft of water.

Chariot started drilling operations at the Anchois-2 well in late December.

Exploratory drilling

A comprehensive evaluation of the well was done through wireline logging, including petrophysical evaluation, subsurface formation testing including reservoir pressures and gas sampling, sidewall cores and wellbore seismic profiles.

Preliminary interpretation of the data confirms the presence of significant gas accumulations in the appraisal and exploration objectives of the Anchois-2 well, with a calculated net gas pay totalling more than 330 feet, compared to 180 feet in the original Anchois-1 discovery.

The appraisal target, gas sand B, has a calculated total net gas pay of more than 165ft in two stacked reservoirs of similar thickness. The upper reservoir is a continuation of a reservoir drilled in the original discovery well, Anchois-1, with the lower reservoir being newly identified.

Exploration targets gas sands C, M and O were successfully encountered with multiple gas-bearing intervals across a gross interval of 820ft measured distance with no water-bearing reservoirs identified, materially exceeding pre-drill expectations.

The previously discovered gas sand A was not targeted in the Anchois-2 well due to evaluating it in the subsequent Anchois-1 re-entry operations.

However, Anchois-2 encountered gas-bearing sands at this level providing important additional subsurface data. According to Chariot, high-quality reservoirs were encountered in all gas sands.

Further analysis will be undertaken to fully understand the positive implications on gas resources within the expanded Anchois field and the scale of the potential gas development. De-risking of numerous additional material exploration prospects within the Lixus licence area with similar seismic attributes to the Anchois discovery is now considered low risk.

Chariot said that the well would be suspended for potential future re-entry and completion as a production well in the development of the field.

The Stena Don rig will then move to the Anchois-1 gas discovery well to perform re-entry operations to assess the integrity of the previously drilled well, if successful, providing a future potential production well for the development of the field.

This article is published by MEED, the world’s leading source of business intelligence about the Middle East. MEED provides exclusive news, data and analysis on the Middle East every day. For access to MEED’s Middle East business intelligence, subscribe here.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology