Aker BP has discovered oil in the Liatårnet well located in the North of Alvheim and Krafla-Askja (NOAKA) area offshore Norway.

The company said it is close to completing the Liatårnet exploration well, which holds a gross resource estimate of 80 million barrels of oil equivalent (mmboe) to 200mmboe.

Aker BP will carry out additional data acquisition and analysis to identify the drainage strategy and recovery factor for the discovery.

Aker BP SVP exploration Evy Glørstad-Clark said: “The exploration success at Liatårnet is an encouraging result of a long-term strategy to unlock the exploration potential in the NOAKA area and provide the basis for an area development. The discovery represents a significant addition to the NOAKA resource base.”

The licence 442 is being operated by Aker BP with a 90.26% interest. The company’s partner LOTOS holds the remaining 9.74% stake.

The Norwegian Petroleum Directorate will release a further detailed technical description of the well results upon completion of the operation.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

In June 2019, the Petroleum Safety Authority (PSA) gave Aker BP consent to use the Deepsea Stavanger rig to drill the Liatårnet well, designated 25/2-20.

Deepsea Stavanger is a semi-submersible mobile drilling facility of the type GVA 7500, owned and operated by Odfjell Drilling.

Aker BP has exploration, development and production activities on the Norwegian Continental Shelf.

The fully fledged E&P company operates Alvheim, Ivar Aasen, Skarv, Valhall, Hod, Ula and Tambar fields. It is also a partner in the Johan Sverdrup field.