Dominion Energy has closed the sale of its 50% stake in the Cove Point LNG (liquefied natural gas) project in Maryland, US, to Berkshire Hathaway Energy for $3.3bn.

Located on the Chesapeake Bay near Lusby, Cove Point LNG has a storage capacity of 14.6 billion cubic feet (bcf) and a send-out capacity of 1.8bcf per day.

With the completion of the deal, Berkshire Hathaway Energy subsidiary BHE GT&S holds a 75% stake in the Cove Point LNG project, while the remaining 25% is held by a subsidiary of Brookfield Infrastructure Partners.

BHE GT&S president Paul Ruppert said: “BHE GT&S will continue its excellent operating and commercial performance at Cove Point, which plays an important role in Berkshire Hathaway Energy’s delivery of clean, low-cost and sustainable energy solutions to customers and communities.”

A subsidiary of BHE GT&S is serving as the general partner and operator of the Cove Point natural gas pipeline and its LNG terminal.

Dominion Energy is also due to receive $200m in proceeds from the settlement of related interest rate derivatives.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

The deal was announced in July 2022.

At that time, Dominion Energy chair, president and CEO Robert Blue said: “Since 2002, Cove Point has been an excellent service provider to its international and domestic customers – linking global gas supplies with American customers, and American gas supplies with customers around the world.

“However, this investment is non-core to Dominion Energy as we focus on our state-regulated utility operations. The sale demonstrates our commitment to the company’s credit profile and represents an attractive exit from what has been an excellent investment for our shareholders.”