Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
June 16, 2021

Eni to merge two oil concessions in Egypt’s Western Desert

The new concession, called Merged Meleiha, will be operated by Agiba, the JV between Eni's subsidiary IEOC Production and the EGPC.

By Archana Rani

Eni has finalised an agreement to merge the Meleiha and Meleiha Deep concessions in Egypt’s Western Desert into a new concession called Merged Meleiha.

The Italian energy giant signed the deal with the Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation (EGPC) and Lukoil.

Additionally, the deal includes an extension of the concession to 2036 with the possibility for further extension to 2041.

The concession will be operated by Agiba, a 50/50 joint venture between Eni’s subsidiary IEOC Production and EGPC.

IEOC will own a 76% stake in Merged Meleiha while Lukoil will own the remaining 24% interest.

In a press statement, Eni said: “The agreement, which marks another important result for Eni in the prolific basin of the Egyptian Western Desert, will unlock, through enhanced contractual terms, the area’s considerable resources, thanks to a high-resolution 3D seismic acquisition and an intensive exploration and development drilling campaign.”

Content from our partners
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future
Q&A with Chevron Lubricants’ Paul Sly, global industrial OEM specialist, and Nathan Knotts, global brand technical manager
The important role of antifoam agents in oil-gas separation and amine treating

Eni expects the construction of a new gas treatment plant, which will be connected to the Western Desert Gas Complex in Alexandria, to enable it to further exploit gas reserves in the region.

Last year, Eni made an oil discovery in the Meleiha Concession following the drilling of the Arcadia 9 well on the Arcadia South structure. This structure is located 1.5km south of the main Arcadia field that is currently in production.

Currently, Eni, through its subsidiary IEOC, holds 38% interest in the Meleiha concession. Lukoil and EGPC hold 12% and 50% stakes respectively.

Eni has been operational in Egypt since 1954 and is one of the main producers in the country.

Its current equity hydrocarbon production stands at approximately 320,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU