Norway’s oil major Equinor has started production from the Phase 2 development of the Peregrino heavy oil field offshore the Campos basin in Brazil.

Production from the Peregrino field is being carried out through a new well head platform and drilling rig called Peregrino C. The new platform is installed in a water depth of 120m.

Following the submission of the plan of development for the project in 2015, the project was scheduled to start production in 2020 but was impacted by the Covid-19 pandemic.

Equinor projects, drilling and procurement executive vice-president Geir Tungesvik said: “Covid-19 has made Peregrino phase 2 a challenging project, and I want to thank everyone involved for delivering the project with excellent HSE results.”

Equinor expects the Phase 2 project to extend the field’s operational life to 2040 and deliver an additional 250 to 300 million barrels.

The Peregrino Phase 2 project comprises drilling facilities and living quarters that are tied in to the existing Peregrino floating production storage and offloading (FPSO) unit, as well as a new pipeline importing gas to the platform for power generation.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

Equinor exploration and production international executive vice-president Al Cook said: “The start-up of Peregrino Phase 2 is an important milestone in Equinor’s growth strategy in Brazil.

“This project showcases how we can bring valuable new resources onto production at the same time as investing in technology to cut carbon emissions. I am proud that Peregrino Phase 2 will increase field production to 110,000 barrels per day at plateau whilst halving our emissions intensity.”

Equinor operates the Peregrino field with a 60% stake while the remaining 40% stake is held by Chinese state-owned firm Sinochem.