Join Our Newsletter - Get important industry news and analysis sent to your inbox – sign up to our e-Newsletter here
X

Ithaca sanctions EOR Stage 2 project at Captain field offshore UK

09 Apr 2021 (Last Updated April 9th, 2021 12:09)

Ithaca Energy and Dana Petroleum have sanctioned the second phase of the enhanced oil recovery (EOR) project on the Captain field located in Block 13/22a in the UK Central North Sea.

Ithaca sanctions EOR Stage 2 project at Captain field offshore UK
Ithaca Energy operates the Captain field with majority stake. Credit: Ithaca Energy.

Ithaca Energy and Dana Petroleum have sanctioned the second phase of the enhanced oil recovery (EOR) project on the Captain field located in Block 13/22a in the UK Central North Sea.

The move comes after the partners secured field development plan addendum consent from the UK Oil and Gas Authority (OGA).

Ithaca Energy said that the EOR Stage 2 builds on the Captain field EOR Stage 1 project.

Through the EOR project, the firm plans to significantly increase recovery hydrocarbon at the field. This is done by injecting polymerised water into the reservoir through additional subsea wells, subsea infrastructure and new topsides facilities.

With the completion of EOR Stage 1, the polymer EOR technology has been validated to work with the production response across all injection patterns. This helps in improved economic recovery within the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS).

Ithaca Energy CEO Bill Dunnett said: “Consent for Captain EOR Stage 2 progresses the application of a technology that has already demonstrated an improved recovery rate and helps extend the life of the Captain field.

“This project underlines our long-term commitment to the North Sea and is a major demonstration of confidence in the viability of safe, long-term operations in this basin.”

Ithaca Energy (UK) operates the Captain field with an 85% stake while Dana Petroleum (E&P) owns the remaining 15% working interest.

Located 90 miles north-east of Aberdeen, Scotland, in the Outer Moray Firth, the Captain field was discovered in 1977. First production was achieved in 1997.

The field comprises a wellhead protector platform and bridge-linked platform connected to a floating production, storage and offloading vessel, as well as two subsea manifolds tied back and connected to the platforms via pipelines.