View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
May 1, 2020

Maersk Intrepid to drill Equinor’s Martin Linge field offshore Norway

Danish offshore drilling contractor Maersk Drilling has secured a contract from Equinor for its jack-up rig Maersk Intrepid regarding drilling work at the Martin Linge field offshore Norway.

By Himaja Ganta

Danish offshore drilling contractor Maersk Drilling has secured a contract from Equinor regarding drilling work at the Martin Linge field offshore Norway.

The Maersk Intrepid jack-up rig will carry out the required work. It is an ultra-harsh environment rig built in 2014.

The contract will begin in September this year and include drilling of three wells and plugging of one on the Martin Linge field. Rig modifications and upgrades are also included.

Under the integrated services, managed pressure drilling (MPD), slop treatment, cuttings handling and tubular running services are included.

Equinor values the contract at $100m. It noted the contract value is exclusive of intervention activities, integrated services, as well as any incentive payments for safe and efficient operations.

Discovered in 1978, North Sea, Martin Linge field is located 42km west of Oseberg, 115m deep in water.

Equinor bought a 51% stake in the field from Total for $1.45bn and took over its operation in March 2018.

Equinor is the majority shareholder of Martin Linge with 70% ownership. Petoro holds the remaining 30% stake.

Equinor drilling & well senior vice-president Erik Gustav Kirkemo said: “This will be the first jack-up rig to have a hybrid package retrofit as one of several initiatives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions during operations. The rig will also be prepared for the use of automated drilling technology.

“So far, the rig has been used to improve the bed capacity on the Martin Linge platform. We look forward to starting the drilling operations with Maersk Intrepid.”

In March this year, Equinor confirmed that one person on its Martin Linge field was tested positive with the coronavirus.

In May last year, Maersk Drilling planned to convert the Maersk Intrepid platform into the first hybrid, low-emission offshore rig.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology