View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
January 7, 2022

Petronas makes additional gas discovery offshore Malaysia

The Hadrah-1 well encountered gas in a 200m thick sequence of high-quality sandstone and carbonate reservoirs.

Malaysian oil and gas firm Petronas’ subsidiary Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd (PCSB) has announced a gas discovery in Block SK411, offshore Malaysia, after drilling the Hadrah-1 well.

The Hadrah-1 wildcat exploration well is located in the shallow waters of the Balingian province, approximately 170km northwest off the coast of Sarawak.

Drilled to a total depth of 1,850m, the Hadrah-1 well encountered gas in a 200m thick sequence of high-quality sandstone and carbonate reservoirs.

Petronas Exploration, Upstream vice-president Emeliana Rice-Oxley said: “The gas discovery in the Hadrah-1 wildcat exploration well by PCSB further proves the promising prospectivity in the underexplored Cycle I, II and III plays within the Balingian province.

“The excellent quality of reservoirs encountered augurs the remaining potential in the surrounding areas, with PCSB well positioned to pursue the untapped similar plays in Blocks SK411 and SK306. We look forward to delivering more natural gas, the cleanest fossil fuel, safely and reliably to the market.”

PCSB operates the Block SK411 with 90% a stake while the remaining 10% is held by E&P Malaysia Venture.

The Hadrah-1 discovery in the Balingian province follows findings in Sirung-1 and Kulintang-1 in March and May 2021, respectively.

Located in Block SK405B, the Sirung-1 well intersected an oil and gas column of over 100m in the clastic reservoirs.

The Kulintang-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK438 encountered gas in the Oligocene to Middle Miocene sandstone reservoirs.

Last month, Petronas and its partner PTT Exploration and Production Public Company (PTTEP) announced a natural gas discovery at the Nangka-1 exploration well in Block SK417, offshore Malaysia.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology