Petronas and its partner PTT Exploration and Production Public Company (PTTEP) have made a gas discovery at Block SK417, offshore Malaysia.

The discovery was made at the second exploration well Nangka-1, which covers an area of approximately 1,540km².

The Nangka-1 well has a maximum depth of 3,758m and weet gas was first discovered in the middle to late Miocene Cycle VI clastic reservoirs. According to Petronas, this further confirms the potential for hydrocarbon resources in the surrounding areas.

Petronas’ Malaysia Petroleum Management senior vice-president Mohamed Firouz Asnan said: “The success of the Nangka-1 well marks the second gas discovery within the Baram Province this year.

“The finding of contaminant-free gas in Nangka-1 reaffirms sweet gas opportunities within the area, and subsequently upgrades Baram clastics play.

“This second gas find further reinvigorates the Baram Province, which is part of the established Baram Delta region, signalling potential for more discoveries in the neighbouring acreages.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

“The availability of existing facilities within the region will allow the Petroleum Arrangement Contractors (PACs) to monetise their discoveries quicker and cheaper through tie-back solutions.”

PTTEP, through its subsidiary PTTEP HK Offshore, operates Block SK417 with an 80% stake. Petronas Carigali owns the remaining 20%.

Located in the shallow waters of the Baram Province, approximately 180km off the coast of Sarawak, the block was awarded to the firms in March 2018 following the Malaysia Bid Round (MBR) launched in 2017.

PTTEP CEO Montri Rawanchaikul said: “The discovery at Nangka-1 is another discovery that PTTEP has made in Malaysia this year, following the success at Sarawak SK417’s Dokong, SK410B’s Lang Lebah, SK405B’s Sirung, and SK438’s Kulintang fields.”

Earlier this year, PTTEP and Petronas made a sweet gas discovery at the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417.

A gas column, measuring more than 80m, was discovered by the Dokong-1 well in the middle to late Miocene Cycle VI-VII reservoirs.

PTTEP said that there are other offshore blocks that are still in the exploration stage. These include SK405B, SK410B, SK438, SK314A, PM407 and PM415.