Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd (PCSB), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysian oil and gas company Petronas, has made the final investment decision (FID) for the proposed Kasawari carbon sequestration project offshore Sarawak.

Located in Block SK316 off Bintulu, the project is expected to abate 3.3 million tonnes of CO₂ emitted via flaring per year. This makes it one of the world’s largest offshore carbon capture and storage (CCS) projects.

The engineering, procurement, construction, installation and commissioning (EPCIC) contract for the Kasawari project has been awarded to Malaysia Marine and Heavy Engineering (MMHE).

PCSB CEO Hasliza Othman said: “The FID marks a crucial stage in the progress of CCS solutions. This project is expected to become the catalyst in achieving end-to-end CCS capability development within Petronas, and the first step in unlocking Malaysia’s potential as a regional CCS solutions hub.”

The CCS project is expected to contribute to Petronas’ plan to achieve a net-zero emissions goal by 2050.

In September 2022, Shell and Petronas decided to develop the Rosmari-Marjoram gas project offshore Malaysia.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

Situated 220km off the coast of Bintulu, in the Sarawak state in block SK318, the Rosmari-Marjoram development involves an uncrewed well head platform, a subsea tie-back, a 207km pipeline to onshore, and an onshore gas plant at Bintulu.

Shell’s subsidiary Sarawak Shell Berhad (SSB) holds an 80% stake in the project while Petronas Carigali owns the remaining 20% interest.