PTT Exploration and Production Public Company (PTTEP) and Malaysia’s Petronas have made a sweet gas discovery following the drilling of the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration well in Block SK417 offshore Malaysia.

The Block SK417 is located in the shallow waters of Baram Province, nearly 90km off the coast of Sarawak.

Drilled to a total depth of 3,810m, the Dokong-1 wildcat exploration encountered a gas column measuring over 80m in the Middle to Late Miocene Cycle VI-VII reservoirs.

Petronas said that the discovery validates the potential of the remaining prospects in Baram Province, as well as the presence of more sweet gas opportunities within the area.

PTTEP CEO Phongsthorn Thavisin said: “This drilling result paves the way for exploration of nearby prospects that have similar geological structures.

“It also presents opportunity for PTTEP to synergise future development and production of SK417 with the adjacent areas and leverage on our strong expertise in cluster development.”

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

PTTEP HK operates the Block SK417 production sharing contract (PSC) with an 80% stake while Petronas Carigali, a subsidiary of Petronas, holds the remaining 20% stake.

Signed in March 2018, the PSC was awarded under the Malaysia Bid Round 2017.

The Block SK417 PSC was signed in March 2018 as a result of the Malaysia Bid Round 2017.

Petronas Malaysia petroleum management senior vice-president Mohamed Firouz Asnan said: “Monetisation of sweet gas discovery in Baram Province can be supported through existing infrastructure and will contribute towards Petronas’ aspiration in delivering reliable, stable and cleaner energy supply to domestic and global markets.”

As part of the exploration programme, the partners plan to drill a second exploration well in the Block SK417 in the middle of this year.

Petronas plans to offer four shallow-water blocks in Sarawak as part of the Malaysia Bid Round 2021, which is scheduled on 26 February.

Recently, PTTEP agreed to acquire 20% of its participating stake in Block 61 in Oman from BP, through its subsidiary BP Exploration, for $2.6bn.

Located in central Oman, Block 61 covers 3,950km² and is claimed to have the largest tight gas development across the Middle East.