View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
May 20, 2021

Thailand’s PTTEP discovers gas in Block SK438 offshore Malaysia

Thailand’s PTTEP and Petronas have discovered gas at the Kulintang-1 exploration well located offshore Malaysia.

By Archana Rani

PTT Exploration and Production (PTTEP) and Petronas have made new gas discovery at the Kulintang-1 well offshore Malaysia.

The discovery follows the drilling of the Kulintang-1exploration well, which reached a total depth of 2,238m.

Following drilling, the Kulintang-1 well encountered gas in the Oligocene to Middle Miocene sandstone reservoirs.

Petronas Malaysia petroleum management senior vice-president Mohamed Firouz Asnan said: “The success of Kulintang-1 well marks the second gas discovery within the Balingian Province this year. This encouraging result proves further potential of sweet gas in the province, especially in the deeper Oligocene play.”

Asnan said that the existing infrastructure can be utilised for the Kulintang sweet gas discovery monetisation.

The Kulintang-1 well is located in Block SK438 that is contained in shallow waters of Balingian Province about 230km off the coast of Miri, Sarawak.

The partners plan to drill another exploration well in the Block SK438 in the second quarter of this year.

Thailand’s PTTEP CEO Phongsthorn Thavisin said: “We are determined to explore further and make more oil and gas discoveries in Malaysia to serve future energy demand.”

The Block SK438 is located adjacent to Blocks SK405, SK309 & SK311, SK314A, all of which are operated by PTTEP.

PTTEP subsidiary PTTEP HK Offshore (PTTEP HKO) serves as operator of the Block SK438 with 80% interest. Petronas Carigali owns the remaining 20% stake.

In March, PTTEP announced oil and gas discovery in Block SK405B, through the drilling of the Sirung-1 exploration well.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology