Qatar has opened the Barzan gas plant, located in the Ras Laffan Industrial City, to meet domestic natural gas requirements.

The plant was inaugurated by the Emir of Qatar Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al-Thani.

The Qatar-operated gas plant will process natural gas recovered from the North Field development in the country, to support power generation and water desalinisation efforts.

The Barzan Gas Plant will also produce associated hydrocarbon products for local refineries, petrochemical industries, and exports.

QatarEnergy, the state-owned petroleum company, holds a 93% stake in the plant. The remaining 7% is with ExxonMobil.

In total, the project can produce approximately 1.4 billion standard cubic feet of gas sales per day.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

It can also deliver 2,000 tonnes of ethane as feedstock for the local petrochemicals industry, and 1,500 tonnes of liquid petroleum gas (LPG) for export.

Barzan is also capable of supplying 30,000 barrels of condensate per day, and 3,500 tonnes of sulphur.

QatarEnergy president and CEO Saad Sherida Al-Kaabi said: “This is one of the most important energy projects in the State of Qatar, which adds a high and qualitative value in the effort to meet our domestic natural gas needs, and in supporting Qatar’s comprehensive development and economic growth.

“With the Barzan plant’s various products, we have achieved our important objective of the optimal exploitation of our resources from the North Field, and provided the energy needed for electricity production and water desalination, in addition to the large development projects in the country, including the facilities for hosting the 2022 FIFA World Cup, and other strategic projects.”

In December last year, QatarEnergy and ExxonMobil signed an exploration and production sharing contract for an offshore block, in Cyprus.