Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
December 7, 2021

Saudi Aramco signs $15.5bn gas pipeline deal

This is Saudi Aramco’s second such infrastructure transaction in 2021.

By Aninda Chakraborty

Saudi Aramco has entered into a $15.5bn lease and leaseback deal for its gas pipeline network, further advancing its asset optimisation programme.

The company signed the deal with a consortium led by BlackRock Real Assets and Hassana Investment Company, the investment management arm of the state-backed General Organization for Social Insurance (GOSI).

As agreed, the newly formed subsidiary Aramco Gas Pipelines Company will lease the usage rights in the company’s gas pipelines network and lease them back to Aramco for a 20-year period.

Aramco will pay a tariff to the Aramco Gas Pipelines Company for the gas products that will be transported through the network, backed by minimum commitments on throughput.

Aramco will continue to hold full ownership of its gas pipeline network.

It will also hold a 51% stake in Aramco Gas Pipelines Company. The remaining 49% will be owned by the investors led by BlackRock and Hassana.

Content from our partners
Green investment: What gives Scotland multiple advantages
How the North of Tyne region is leveraging its legacy to define its future
Q&A with Chevron Lubricants’ Paul Sly, global industrial OEM specialist, and Nathan Knotts, global brand technical manager

The completion of the transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including any required merger control and related approvals.

Once complete, Aramco will receive upfront proceeds of $15.5bn, further increasing its balance sheet.

This is the company’s second such infrastructure transaction this year. In June, Aramco closed a $12.4bn lease and leaseback transaction that involved its stabilised crude oil pipeline network.

Commenting on the latest deal, Aramco Corporate Development senior vice-president Abdulaziz M. Al Gudaimi said: “Our gas pipeline assets are critical and growing, and highly integrated with the rest of Aramco’s oil and gas facilities.

“We are pleased that we are concluding the second transaction, seeking long term partners who understand and appreciate the industry.

“This transaction represents the largest energy infrastructure deal in the region to date and exemplifies Aramco’s unique positioning as a partner for prominent global institutional investors.”

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU