TotalEnergies and partner Eni have signed a framework agreement with the Israeli Government to implement a new maritime border accord between Israel and Lebanon.

Last month, Israel signed a deal with Lebanon to settle a dispute over gas fields and the maritime border between the two countries, which enabled the countries to boost gas production from the gas-rich Mediterranean.

In Lebanon, TotalEnergies holds a 60% operatorship stake in exploration Block 9, located in the eastern part of the Mediterranean Sea while Eni owns the remaining 40% interest.

The framework agreement allows the two firms to start exploration work on a prospect, with the potential to extend into both Block 9 and Israeli waters.

TotalEnergies chairman and CEO Patrick Pouyanné said: “TotalEnergies, as the operator of Block 9, is proud to be associated with the peaceful definition of a maritime border between Israel and Lebanon.

“By bringing our expertise in offshore exploration, we will respond to the request of both countries to assess the materiality of hydrocarbon resources and production potential in this area.”

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

In a separate announcement, TotalEnergies and ConocoPhillips have jointly acquired an 8.16% stake in the Waha concessions in Libya, from Hess.

As a result of the transaction, TotalEnergies’ stake in the Waha concessions has increased from 16.33% to 20.41%.

In a press statement, TotalEnergies said: “This acquisition reflects TotalEnergies’ commitment to supporting Libya’s National Oil Corporation (NOC) in its efforts to restore and increase the country’s oil production, together with reducing gas flaring to increase supply to power plants for additional electricity supply.” 

TotalEnergies and NOC are also assessing the development of solar projects to power the Waha production sites.