French oil giant TotalEnergies and its licence partner NNPCL have made the final investment decision for the development of the Ubeta gas field in Nigeria.

Located in the OML 58 onshore licence in Nigeria, the Ubeta gas condensate field is due to be developed with a new six-well cluster that will be connected to the existing Obite facilities through a 11km pipeline.

Scheduled to commence production in 2027, the field is expected to have plateau production capacity of 300mcf/d (around 70,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day including condensates).

Gas from the field is due to be supplied to the Nigeria LNG (NLNG) liquefaction plant located in Bonny Island.

TotalEnergies currently owns a 15% interest in the NLNG plant.

Ubeta is a low-emission and low-cost development, leveraging OML 58’s existing gas processing facilities.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The carbon intensity of the project is expected to be further reduced through a 5MW solar plant, which is currently under construction at the Obite site, and the electrification of the drilling rig.

The French oil company operates the OML 58 onshore license with a 40% stake. NNPCL holds the remaining 60% stake.

Located around 80km north-west of Port Harcourt in Rivers state, the OML 58 licence also comprises the producing Obagi oil field and Ibewa gas and condensate field.

TotalEnergies is collaborating with NNPCL to  ensure more than 90% of the work is performed locally.

TotalEnergies exploration & production Africa senior vice-president Mike Sangster said: “Ubeta is the latest in a series of projects developed by TotalEnergies in Nigeria, most recently Ikike and Akpo West.

“I am pleased that we can launch this new gas project, which has been made possible by the government’s recent incentives for non-associated gas developments. Ubeta fits perfectly with our strategy of developing low-cost and low-emission projects, and will contribute to the Nigerian economy through higher NLNG exports.”

Last year, TotalEnergies announced a $6bn (€5.47bn) investment to boost its oil and gas operations in Nigeria over the coming years.