Projects

Edradour Gas Field

Edradour gas field is located in Block 206/4a, Licence P1453 of the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS), about 75km north-west of the Shetland Islands. The water depth at the field is approximately 300m.

Location
Block 206/4a, north-west Shetlands
Operator and Partner
Total E&P UK (75%), Dong E&P (25%)
Start of Development
July 2014
Production Expected
2017
Peak Production Capacity
17,000boepd
Estimated Development Cost
£340m (approximately $582m)
Subsea Contractor
Technip

Technip Deep Energy pipelay vessel.

Edradour gas field is located in Block 206/4a, Licence P1453 of the UK Continental Shelf (UKCS), about 75km north-west of the Shetland Islands. The water depth at the field is approximately 300m.

Development of the field was officially launched in July 2014. Total E&P UK (TEP UK) operates the field with a 75% interest, while its partner Dong E&P (UK) holds the remaining 25% interest. The partners estimate the cost for the development of the field to reach £340m (approximately $582m).

Production is expected to start in 2017 and continue for 15 years, delivering 17,000boepd at peak.

Edradour discovery

The field was discovered in January 2011, through the drilling of the exploratory well 206/4-2. The vertical exploratory well was initially drilled using the Sedco 714 rig.



The West Franklin field was discovered in 2003 and started production in 2007.


Gas and condensate are located at a depth of more than 3,500m within black sail sands in the Cretaceous reservoir.

Development details

Development of the Edradour field primarily involves the transformation of the exploratory well into a production well. The field will be tied back to the neighbouring Laggan-Tormore facilities.

Subsea works will include the installation of a four-slot steel tube manifold, tie-back of the field to the In-Line Tee 3 (ILT3) tie-in point of the Laggan-Tormore production pipeline system with a 16km-long and 12in diameter production pipeline, a six-inch diameter monoethylene glycol (MEG) pipeline to prevent formation of hydrates during transportation and a two-inch diameter piggy-backed service pipeline.

The production flowline will be integrated with flowline end termination structures (FLETs) and a pipeline end manifold (PLEM) will be installed near ILT3. A 35km power, communications, hydraulic and chemical umbilical will also be installed from the Laggan manifold to the Edradour manifold.

A proposal is also being made to develop the neighbouring Glenlivet field on Block 214/30a, with two wells tied back to the Edradour facilities via a 17km production pipeline.

Production exports

Production fluids from the reservoir will mix with the fluids from Laggan and Tormore fields, and will be processed at the Shetland Gas Plant (SGP), an onshore processing facility being constructed by TEP UK. Certain modifications will also be made to the SGP controls and mercury removal facilities will be installed at the SGP.

"Production is expected to start in 2017 and continue for 15 years."

Gas processed from the SGP will be conveyed to St Fergus gas terminal via the new Shetland Island Regional Gas Export (SIRGE) pipeline, which will be connected to TEP UK’s Frigg UK Area (FUKA) gas pipeline system in the North Sea.

Natural gas liquids (NGL) extracted from the gas at St Fergus will be exported to Mossmorran, whereas the condensate separated at the SGP will be exported to the neighbouring Sullom Voe terminal (SVT).

Contractors involved

In July 2014, the contract for the supply and installation of the subsea facilities was awarded to Technip .

EPC Offshore (now owned by Costain) was contracted in June 2013 to provide project management services for six months.

NRI Energy Technology

Related Projects

Al Shaheen Oil Field

Al Shaheen, Qatar’s biggest offshore oil field, lies 180km north of Doha, in Block 5 in the Qatar peninsula. It…