Australian firm BHP has awarded McDermott the contract to provide a marine installation campaign for the Subsea Multiphase Pumping Project (SSMPP) in the Gulf of Mexico.

Under the contract, McDermott will provide project management, detailed design and fabrication for a pump station suction pile, as well as umbilical installation and flexible jumpers and flying lead installation.

It will also be responsible for the transportation of all materials and equipment, pre-commissioning services, and other necessary testing and surveys.

McDermott’s Houston engineering group plans to undertake engineering, procurement, and project management services.

The firm plans to use the North Ocean 102 vessel to transport and install the material and equipment.

McDermott North, Central and South America region senior vice-president Mark Coscio said: “McDermott’s North Ocean 102 vessel is uniquely qualified to transport and install the materials and equipment for the Shenzi project scope, as well as perform pre-commissioning testing and other necessary surveys to safely deliver for the customer.”

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

The project will commence immediately and is expected to be completed in mid-2022.

Located at a water depth of 4,400ft, the SSMPP was sanctioned by BHP in 2020 and aims to increase recovery from existing wells at the Shenzi field.

The Shenzi field is located in the Green Canyon area of the US Gulf of Mexico, approximately 200km off the coast of Fourchon, Louisiana, US.

BHP Billiton increased its stake in the Shenzi field to 72% following the acquisition of Hess’ interest in the field in 2020. Repsol owns the remaining 28% stake.

Currently, McDermott is under contract to provide front-end engineering design for a semi-submersible floating production unit for the BHP-operated Trion Project in the Gulf of Mexico.