View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter - data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
May 12, 2021

McDermott receives design contract for Trion field offshore Mexico

McDermott has received FEED contract from BHP for Trion field development offshore Mexico.

By Archana Rani

McDermott International has secured a design contract for the Trion field development in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico offshore Mexico.

The contract has been awarded by BHP Petróleo Operaciones de México, S De RL De CV (BHP), in partnership with Pemex.

Under the contract, McDermott will provide pre-front-end engineering design (pre-FEED) services for a floating production unit (FPU), which will have a capacity of 100,000 barrels of oil per day.

The FPU is planned to be installed in a water depth of approximately 2,500m at the Trion field, which is located approximately 30km south of the US/Mexico border and approximately 180km from the Mexican coastline.

Planned to start production in 2025, the Trion field is estimated to have a development cost of approximately €10bn ($11bn).

The contract includes engineering tasks pertaining to the configuration, sizing and analysis of the FPU, including topsides, hull, risers and mooring.

McDermott North, Central and South America region senior vice-president Mark Coscio said: “We look forward to being a partner with BHP and Pemex in the establishment of the first deepwater oil field development project in Mexico.”

McDermott said that a single, integrated team will lead project management and execution planning.

BHP petroleum projects vice-president Matthew Ridolfi said: “The awarding of the FPU FEED contract is an exciting milestone for the development. Starting the next phase of study will help us reach the level of design and execution plan maturity required to move Trion into further phases of development.”

The design contract follows a 14-month design competition. This was preceded by a competitive tender process.

BHP serves as operator and holds a 60% stake in the Trion field, while Pemex owns the remaining 40% interest.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy


Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology