View all newsletters
Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. News
April 27, 2021

BP starts production from Raven field, offshore Egypt

BP has commenced gas production from Raven field, marking the start of the third phase of the West Nile Delta (WND) project off the Mediterranean coast in Egypt.

By Aninda Chakraborty

BP has commenced gas production from Raven field, marking the start of the third phase of the West Nile Delta (WND) project off the Mediterranean coast in Egypt.

Currently, the field is producing around 600 million standard cubic feet of gas per day (mmscf/d). The production can be ramped up to 900 mmscf/d of gas and 30,000 barrels per day of condensate at peak.

The move will also significantly increase the production of WND, boosting the total gas processing capacity of its onshore facilities to 1.4 billion standard cubic feet of gas per day (bcf/d).

The $9bn WND development is made up of five gas fields across the North Alexandria and West Mediterranean Deepwater offshore concession blocks in the Mediterranean Sea.

The project was delivered in three phases.

In the first and second phases, Taurus/Libra and Giza/Fayoum began production in March 2017 and February 2019, respectively.

BP CEO Bernard Looney said: “Completing this major multi-stage development in the face of many challenges is testament to BP’s long-term commitment to Egypt and our excellent working relationships with partners and the government.

“WND will make an important contribution to meeting Egypt’s growing energy needs, by providing a cost-competitive and resilient gas supply from the country’s own resources.”

BP operates the WND with 82.75% interest. Wintershall Dea holds the remaining 17.25% stake in the project.

Wintershall Dea CEO Mario Mehren said: “WND is a strategically significant project for Egypt’s energy security and an important part of Wintershall Dea’s gas-weighted portfolio, so we are pleased to have reached this milestone.”

Separately, BP and its partner Reliance Industries have started production from the Satellite Cluster gas field in block KG D6, off the eastern coast of India.

 

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU

Thank you for subscribing to Offshore Technology