Share this article

Oil and gas major BP has announced the first gas production from the second stage of its West Nile Delta development offshore Egypt.

This latest development is part of a three-stage project in the West Nile Delta, expected to produce a combined 1.4 billion cubic feet per day (bcf/d) of gas, equivalent to roughly 20% of Egypt’s current gas production.

The second stage was developed as a long-distance deepwater tie-back to an existing onshore plant, producing gas from the Giza and Fayoum fields.

According to German oil and gas company DEA Group, BP’s partner in the project, gas is flowing onshore from eight wells through subsea pipelines and infrastructure. DEA added that the production of gas is on schedule and below budget.

Giza and Fayoum are expected to initially produce approximately 400 million cubic feet of gas per day (mmscfd), with production expected to increase to a maximum rate of approximately 700mmscfd by April.

BP is the operator of the West Nile Delta development with an operating stake of 82.75%, with DEA having the remaining 17.25% working interest.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData

BP chief executive Bob Dudley said: “This important project start-up benefitted from the excellent working relationship between BP and the Egyptian government. We simply could not have delivered it successfully without the steadfast support of the Minister of Petroleum, his excellent team and the entire government.

“With the second stage of West Nile Delta now online, BP has now safely brought 21 new upstream major projects into production over the last three years, keeping us on track to deliver 900,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day by 2021.”

The first stage of the project started in 2017, with BP producing gas from the Taurus and Libra field in May 2017. The West Nile Development was originally planned as two separate projects, but BP and its partners decided to deliver the developments as a three-stage project to “[accelerate] delivery of gas production commitments to Egypt.”

BP North Africa regional president Hesham Mekawi said: “We are proud to have worked with the Egyptian government to deliver this multi-phase, complex project, which plays an important role in both Egypt’s gas supply and BP’s strategy.

Our story in Egypt now stretches back for more than half a century and, thanks to projects like this, it has a bright future. Production from Giza and Fayoum will sustain local energy supply and keep us on track to triple our net production from Egypt by 2020.”

The third stage of the West Nile Delta project will develop the Raven field, with production expected in late 2019.