Projects

Anyala and Madu Fields Development

The Anyala and Madu fields are located in oil mining leases (OML) 83 and 85 in shallow waters of the Niger Delta, approximately 40km offshore the Bayelsa State, Nigeria.

Project Type
Shallow water offshore development
Location
Niger Delta, Nigeria
Water Depth
Up to 55m
Reserves
193 million barrels of oil and 0.637 trillion cubic feet of gas
Owners
FIRST Exploration & Production (40%) and Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (60%)
Operator
FIRST Exploration & Production
Estimated Investment
$1.08bn
First Oil
2019

The Anyala and Madu fields are located in oil mining leases (OML) 83 and 85 in shallow waters of the Niger Delta, approximately 40km offshore the Bayelsa State, Nigeria.

FIRST Exploration & Production (FIRST E&P) holds 40% stake in the leases and is the operator, while Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) holds the remaining 60% stake. Chevron Nigeria earlier held 40% interest in the licenses, which was acquired by FIRST E&P in February 2015.

The offshore field development project is planned to be developed in two phases with a combined investment of $1.08bn. The final investment decision on the project was made in July 2018, while first oil is expected in 2019.

Anyala and Madu fields location and geology

The Anyala field lies 23km away from the Madu field in OML 83, covering an area of 125km². It was discovered in 1972 by the Anyala-1 discovery well, which encountered 55m of net pay. The field reservoir is a large anticline structure located in 55m of water.

Located in OML 85, the Madu field covers an area of 521km².

FIRST E&P acquired approximately 900km² of 3D seismic data over both licenses between October 2017 and January 2018.

Reserves of Anyala and Madu fields

The Anyala and Madu fields are estimated to contain combined reserves of 193 million barrels of oil (MMbbl) and 0.637 trillion cubic feet (Tcf) of gas.

Anyala and Madu phase one development details

The Anyala and Madu fields are planned to be developed through four conductor supported platforms (CSP) and a total of 20 wells. The CSPs will be based on Aquaterra Energy’s Sea Swift platform concept, which is a modular system that combines a central wellbay module with separate process modules.

The first phase of development will include the installation of two CSPs, namely Anyala West CSP and Madu at Anyala and Madu, respectively. The Anyala West CSP will be installed in 50.7m of water, while the Madu CSP will be installed in 28.7m of water.

Drilling of oil wells on Anyala West CSP and oil and gas wells on Madu CSP will also be part of the first phase.

Produced oil will be transported to a spread moored floating, production, storage and offloading (FPSO) vessel installed next to Anyala West CSP for processing.

Phase two field development

Phase two of the project will include the installation of the Anyala East CSP and a gas processing facility at Madu. Oil and gas wells will be drilled from both Anyala East CSP and Anyala West CSP.

A central CSP at Anyala will also be installed in phase two along with interconnecting pipelines, which will transport produced gas to Anyala West CSP.

Subsea infrastructure

The subsea infrastructure at the field will include a 10in diameter, 22km-long export flowline from the Madu CSP to the FPSO. Another 10in diameter, 22km-long gas injection pipeline will be installed from the FPSO to the Madu CSP.

Field development will also include the installation of flexible jumpers, electrical cables and fibre optic cables between the Anyala West CSP and the FPSO. Flowlines, power and fibre optic cables will also be installed between the Madu CSP and the FPSO.

Other subsea infrastructure will include flexible risers, rigid risers, two 12in export jumpers and a 6in test jumper.

Contractors involved

NNPC and FIRST E&P signed an agreement with Schlumberger for the development of Anyala and Madu fields in June 2017. Schlumberger will provide technical services, as well as funding the $724m for the project.

Aquaterra Energy was contracted to design, develop and install two offshore platforms for the project. The scope of work includes design, topsides engineering, procurement, fabrication and logistics.

Yinson Production, a subsidiary of Yinson Holdings, signed a heads of terms agreement with FIRST E&P to supply and charter an FPSO for the project.

Ariosh carried out the front-end engineering design (FEED) for the field development.

Petroflow Consultants carried out a preliminary hydraulic capacity study including flowline definition to evaluate field development options.

A joint venture of Integrated Data Services and BGP Multi-Client (BGP) carried out seismic studies in OML 83 and 85. BGP’s Prospector research vessel was used to carry out the studies.

Related Projects

Cambo Oil Field

The Cambo oilfield lies in blocks 204/9 and 204/10, approximately 125km north-west of the Shetland Islands off the shore of…